As someone who’s used to – and enjoys – feeling at capacity most of the time, I’m not sure what to do with myself when things slow down. I know, I should probably sit back with my feet up and enjoy it for a while but that is not really in my nature. Even during the Pandemic, I took online classes to learn new skills, just so that I would have something productive to do.
So now, when things get slow (Slow times are rare and temporary, so you might as well take advantage of them.), I look for ways to take deliberate steps to improve my business.
If you’re interested in doing the same, here’s what I recommend:
1. Examine your business from the outside in. Listen to your outgoing voicemail message – is it friendly and clear? Look at your email signature – is your phone number included? When was the last time you read your website homepage? Or subscribed to your own newsletter to see what happens?
2. Check out your LinkedIn profile. Make sure your profile picture is a professional headshot and that it’s up to date. Ask for those recommendations you’ve been thinking about.
3. Post past content. If you’ve got past newsletters that are not yet up on your website as well, take steps to add them.
4. Clean up “tolerations.” You know, those annoying little things that you are still putting up with. Are you always struggling to find client phone numbers? Do you keep needed supplies in the basement instead of near your desk? Is there a pile of papers in the corner that you’ve ignored for months (years?)? Take the time now to handle these little annoyances.
5. Organize your desk. Take everything off (yes, everything) clean it thoroughly, and only add back what you need.
6. Review your finances. Why wait until tax time to organize your expenses? Bring them up to date now.
7. Plan your next big project. What are you waiting for? Jump in!
For people who are used to being at capacity, a little downtime can be disorienting. So yes, make sure you relax. But when you’re ready to jump back in, take advantage of the opportunity to take your business to the next level.